Colorado 6 Minnesota 2
Minnesota 21-22 2.0 games back
- POG: Justin Mourneau- Justin was one of the few bright spots on the dreadful day for the Twins. Justin went 1-4 with his 8th homerun of the year along with 2 rbi's to bring his total up to 34 on the year that ranks 4th in the American League. With the 1 hit it brought Justin's average to .306 on the season. Justin has been one of the bright spots from a struggling offense all year and he is putting Justin Mourneau numbers up. Some were worried that he would struggle after getting the big contract i.e. Michael Cuddyer but he has not he has done everything expected of him. I really think that by seasons end he will do his usual 35 and 120 again.
- Kevin Slowey continues to do his usual. He is such a tease becuase he has good stuff and wil be good for 4 or 5 innings and then bam he will lose it about 90 pitches. Yesterday he went 5.2 innings and gave up 7 hits and 3 runs to drop his record to 0-4 on the young season. With the 3 runs it lowered his era to 5.49 on the season. Kevin nibbles to much in my opinion which gets his pitch count up and then runs out of gas and gives up runs late in his outings. The biggest thing he needs to start doing is to continue to attack the strike zone with 2 strikes. Its like he gets up on the hitter and then nibbles and nibbles and that may create strikeouts but it also gets his pitch count up.
- Yesterday was a day that Twins fans are not accustomed to seeing out of the Twins players as they struggled to move guys along, situation hitting, and defensively they commited 3 errors and thats not a Twins team. Before the Twins can win on a consistant basis they need to get their defense up to par because we have an expection to live up to and that is to play defense and not beat ourselves.
- Tonight, the Twins try to get back on track as they Host the Texas Rangers at the Metrodome gametime is at 7:10 with Boof Bonser starting for the Twins vs Kevin Feldman for the Rangers
- The Red Wings game vs Syracuse in Cooperstown to celebrate the International League's 125th anniversary was suspended in the 2nd inning because of rain and will be made up today at 4pm. The regularly scheduled game with Syracuse will follow at 6 with Brian Duensing getting the start for the Red Wings.
New Britain Business
Portland 7 New Britain 6
New Britain 21-21 6.0 games back
- POG: Steve Tolleson- Steve continued his hot streak at the plate by going 3-5 with a double and a rbi his 26th of the season. In Steve's last 10 games he has went 17-43 a .395 batting average with 3 doubles, a triple and a homerun. Steve really stepped it up when Luke Hughes went down to keep the Rock Cats afloat. I really love his flexibility in that he can play infield or outfield and hits wherever you put him in the lineup he can hit leadoff or he also can hit in the middle of the order. I really like him as a player who brings alot to the table for the Rock Cats and will be a key player if the Rock Cats are going to get back on track.
- Anthony Swarzak was what he has been his last 4 or 5 starts and that is ok. Not bad but not real good either. Yesterday he went 5.2 innings and gave up 3 earned runs and 6 hits while walking 2 and striking out 2. With the 3 runs it brings his era up to 4.06 on the season. Anthony started out like a banchy but has come back down to earth after starting off so well. But the key is when he gets the ball down he can abe downright dominant and when he figures out how to do that watch out.
- David Winfree drove in another run in a late pinch hitter appearance and got a hit to drive in his team leading 35th run of the year. David's average has not been what we were hoping for but his run production has by belting a team high 10 homeruns along with the 35 rbi's.
- Tonight, the Rock Cats begin a series with Harrisburg in New Britain. Gametime is at 5:35 pm with Jay Rainville trying to build on a quality start his last time out.
Fort Myers Musings
Fort Myers 12 Jupiter 10
Fort Myers 28-15 First Place
- POG: Deolis Guerra- In a 12-10 game you may be surprised that i am picking the starting pitcher for player of the game honors. However, Deolis had his best outing in quite a while last night going 6 strong innings and only giving up 2 earned runs on 6 hits along with only 1 walk and 4 strikeouts. He didn't get the win but it was a step forward for Deolis as he works on his mechanics and delivery. With the 2 runs allowed it lowered his ERA to 4.67 on the season. I think its funny how everyone is giving up on the kid and hes just 18 years old and has a world of potential and when he gets ahead in the count its almost over for the hitter. Look for him to get better and better as the season goes on, but i dont think he will be promoted this year i think they are going to take their time with this guy to make sure he gets to his potential.
- The Miracle are really on a roll right now especially their offense even with Danny Valencia nursing a sore hand they cranked out 17 hits at the game. They were led by Johnny Woodard's 4-5 at the plate with 4 rbi's and Wilson Ramos' 2 homeruns along with Danny Santiesteban who drove in the game winning runs in the top of the 12th to seal the vicory.
- In Roster news the Miracle placed Rene Tosoni on the 7 day DL and recalled Yangervis Solarte from extended Spring Training to help out in the infield with Valencia hobbled.
- Anthony Slama pitched the bottom of the 12th inning to pick up his 8th save of the season in relief. Anthony is 24 years old and still in high A so i think a combo of his age and his ridiculious stuff makes him a prime candidate to get moved up to New Britain. The Rock Cats need a closer and Anthony's 0.37 era would fit in very well there and would let Robert Delaney get all the saves for the Miracle.
- Today, the Miracle continue their series with Jupiter in Jupiter. Gametime is at 6:05pm with Alex Burnett getting the start for the Miracle.
Beloit 5 Peoria 4
Beloit 22-20 8.5 games back
- POG: Joe Benson- Joe is really coming on of late going 14-38 a .368 average in his last 10 games with 6 doubles and 2 triples along with 7 rbi's and 4 stolen bases in that span. Yesterday he went 3-4 with a double and 3 rbi's along with his 10th stolen base of the season. With the 3 hits it raises Joe's average to .263 on the season. With Joe and Ben Revere in that outfield right now the Snappers have alot of speed and the way they both have been hitting is a big reason that the snappers have been on such a role as a team lately to get over the 500 mark. I think Ben Revere probably has passed Joe Benson in the eyes of the Twins, but thats not to take anything away from the resurgence of Joe Benson who I still think is a good prospect and will have a future in the major leagues if he can cut down on his strikeout total which i think he can if he is just a little more selective at the plate.
- Another big reason for the revival of the Snappers has been their great starting pitching. David Bromberg continued that by making another quality start by going 6 innings and only giving up 2 earned runs along with 7 hits. He walked 2 and struck out a nice 6 batters to get the win. If the Starters can keep doing what they are doing the Snappers are going to continue to rise in the standings.
- In a Roster move the Snappers activated Mike Mccardell off the disabled list and released Ben Petsch who was a 19th round draft pick in the 07 draft. Ben had alot of talent their just was not enough at bats for him so they decided it was best to let him go somewhere else to get the at bats he needs.
- Tonight, the Snappers begin a series with first place Clinton in Clinton. Gametime is at 7pm with Michael Tarsi getting the start for the Snapper.