Twins 47-38 2.0 games back
- The Twins had yesterday off before beginning a 3 game weekend series with the Indians at the Metrodome. Gametime is at 6:10 with Livan Hernandez getting the start for the Twins vs Paul Byrd of the Indians.
Rochester 7 Buffalo 6 13 innings
Rochester 41-48 15 games back
- POG: Kevin Mulvey- Kevin had his finest start in quite a while last night. He went 7 innings and only gave up 2 runs on 5 hits along with 2 walks and 5 strikeouts. With the 2 runs Kevin lowered his era to 3.94 on the season. Kevin made a really good start and it was a start that he needed for his confidence because in June he had a 4.05era. I really believe that Kevin's best days are ahead of him and he put in a big start last night that will come a long way to getting him back on track.
- Trevor Plouffe had a game winning homerun in the top of 13th to bail out the bullpen. Kevin Mulvey handed the Red Wings bullpen a 6-2 9th inning lead and it took 4 pitchers to get through the inning and before they knew it the score was 6-6. That why it was such a big homerun by Plouffe on 2 fronts. First it got them a win in a game they had to win because if they had blown this one it would of destroyed any momentum the Red Wings had gotten. Secondly, Trevor needed that for his confidence because since his promotion he has really struggled only hitting .219 and hopefully a game like that will help him get going.
- Tonight, the Red Wings continue their series with Buffalo in Rochester. Gametime is at 6:05 with Brian Duensing getting the start.
New Britain Business
Reading 6 New Britain 2
New Britain 35-49 15.5 games back
- POG: Brian Dinkelman- Brian had his finest day since his promotion to New Britain by going 2-4 with a run scored. With the 2 hits it brings Brian's New Britain average up to .218 on the season. Brian has really struggled to get going at New Britain I don't think it is something to get worried about, but it is something that you should keep an eye on, but I think he is too good of a hitter for him not to hit and I think in Time he will hit like we are used to seeing out of him.
- The Rockcats continue to struggle as of late as they lost again. The Rockcats have now lost 12 of their last 15 games. Just like usual the bad part was the pitching as Yohan Pino gave up 5 runs in only 3.1 innings. The hitters were not much better as they were only able to get 5 hits off Reading pitcher and former Twins farmhand J.D. "The Real Deal" Durbin. The only bright spots were Felix Molina picked up his 2nd triple and Toby Gardenhire picked up his 8th rbi of the year.
- Today, the Rockcats begin a 4 game series with Connecticut in New Britain. Gametime is at 3:05 with Jeff Manship getting the start for the Rockcats.
Fort Myers Musings
Fort Myers 2 Tampa 1
Fort Myers 8-6 1.5 games back
- POG: Matt Fox- Matt continued the phenomenal pitching by the Fort Myers starters as of late going 7 innings and only giving up 1 run on 3 hits along with 1bb and 3 strikeouts. Matt has really taken off since the Miracle put him in the starting rotation after the All-Star game. With the 1 run allowed he lowered his era to 3.65 on the season and picked up his 4th win of the year. I really think that Matt is going to continue to pitch this good and will help the Miracle in their charge to a FSL title.
- The Miracle won a very close and hard fought game 2-1 over Tampa Bay. Matt Fox pitched very good going 7 innings and only giving up a run. Oswaldo Sosa and Anthony Slama pitched 2 shutout innings to protect the tight 1 run lead. His 1 run that he allowed in the 6th inning broke an unbelievable stretch. Fort Myers pitchers had gone 24 consecutive innings without giving up a run. I don't know about you but that is amazing and should not be taken lightly. Offensively they were led by Eli Tintor who went 3-3 with his 3rd homerun of the year along with 2 rbi's and a run scored.
- Today, the Miracle begin a 3 game series with Lakeland in Lakeland. Gametime is at 4pm with Jay Rainville getting the start for the Miracle.
Clinton 7 Beloit 2
Beloit 10-5 First Place
- POG: Michael Tarsi- Michael had his best start in quite a while last night as he held a good Clinton team in check. Mike went 7 innings and only gave up 2 runs on 8 hits along with a season high 11 strikeouts along with 1 walk. Mike really needed a start like this because in June he was awful going 1-2 with a 5.86era. With the 2 runs allowed last night he lowered his era to 5.48 and I think this will really help his confidence level and get him back on track.
- The Snappers had their 2 game winning streak halted by Clinton last night 7-2. Mike Tarsi put together a very nice start giving up only 2 runs in 7 innings but Loek Van Mil gave up 4 runs in only a inning and a third to get the loss. At the plate they were not able to get much going but were led by Jeanfred Brito, newly up from E-town who went 3-5 with his first rbi and his 2nd stolen base.
- Tonight, the Snappers continue their series with Clinton in Beloit. Gametime is at 7pm with Mike Mccardell getting the start for the Snappers
Greeneville 3 Elizabethton 0
E-town 13-4 first place
- POG: Brad Tippett- Brad continued his strong start of the season by pitching 7 strong innings and only giving up 2 runs on 5 hits along with 5 strikeouts. With the 2 runs allowed he lowered his era to 2.25 on the season. I think Brad is ready for a callup to Beloit again after some good starts for E-town.
- The Twins had their 5 game winning streak snapped with a 3-0 loss to Greenville. Brad Tippett had another good start going 7 innings and only giving up 2 runs. However, the Snappers could not get anything going as they could only muster 4 hits against Greenville pitcher. The only one who did anything was Michael Harrington who went 1-4 with his 3rd double of the season.
- Tonight, the Twins try to get back on track as they take on Bristol in Bristol. Gametime is at 6:00 with Dan Osterbrock getting the start for the Twins