Detroit 5 Minnesota 4
Minnesota 45-38 2.5 games back
- POG: Glen Perkins- Glen had is 2nd outstanding start agains the start in as many starts against them this season. Last night Glen gave the Twins a good chance to win with a quality start. Glen went 6.1 innings and only gave up 2 runs on 7 hits while walking 1 and striking out a season high 7. With the 2 runs allowed he lowered his era to a very respectable 4.31 on the season. Glen has been really solid this season giving up 3 runs or less in 10 of his 12 starts with the Twins. I really like Glen he has proven he belongs with the Twins and has developed into a very good starter for the Twins and seems to be getting better and better every start.
- Denard Span made his return to the Twins and he did not disappoint as he showed why the Twins are so high on him. Denard went 2-4 with an rbi and a brilliant catch in the outfield to prevent a big inning in the first inning. With the 2 hits it raised Denard's average to .286 on the season. The Rbi was his 3rd of the season for the Twins. As many of you know im a big Denard Span supporter and im so glad that he is getting the chance to show what he can do at the major league level. Is he as good as Carlos Gomez no, but i think Denard will be a very solid major leaguer for a good 10 years and i don't think you will see him in Rochester again.
- The Twins bullpen imploded last night giving up a 4-1 7th inning lead. They gave up 4 runs on 5 hits in 2.1 innings. The worst of the bunch were Jesse Crain and Matt Guerrier. But honestly im not too worried about them because the bullpen has been a team strength all season long and if the situation happens again tonight they will get the job done.
- Tonight, the Twins try to get back on track as they play the Tigers in game 2 of their series at the metrodome. Gametime is at 7:10 with Scott Baker getting the start for the Twins vs Nate Robertson for the Tigers.
Rochester 2 Leigh Valley 1
Rochester 39-47 15.0 games back
- POG: Francisco Liriano- Francisco Liriano had by far his best start of the season last night in a win versus Leigh Valley. Liriano went 7 strong innings and not giving up any runs on only 4 hits. He walked only 1 and struck out a season high 9. With the Win Liriano improved his record to 5-2 on the season and has won 5 straight decisions. With the no runs he lowered his ERA to 4.07 on the season. Franchise is getting better and better as the season goes on and last night was by far his best start of the season. It was the first time all year he went over 100 pitches so that means he is feeling good and he only had 1 3 ball count which was his only walk. The question is when is the right time to bring Liriano up because he is very close to being ready. I would say if he can make 2 starts as dominant as this he will be ready and the Twins will have to find a way to make room for him.
- The Redwings were not able to muster much against Leigh Valley as they only recorded 3 hits on the night. They were led by Randy Ruiz who hit a rbi double for the redwings to give them all the runs they would need. The Redwings really havent been able to muster much offense lately and unless they come out of it they wont win many games in the second half especially with Casilla, Buscher, and Span probably not coming back.
- Bobby Korecky has really struggled as of late as he almost blew the lead for the Red Wings. In his 1 inning of work he gave up 2 hits and a run and barely were able to hang on for the save. Bobby is too good of a pitcher to pitch like he has as of late and i think he will turn things around and be the pitcher we all know he can be.
- Tonight, the Red Wings finish their short 2 game series with Leigh Valley in Rochester. Gametime is at 6:05 with Philip Humber getting the start for the Red Wings.
New Britain Business
Reading 13 New Britain 8
New Britain 35-46 14.5 games back
- POG: Brian Dinkelman- Brian had his best game since his promotion going 2-5 with an rbi for the Rockcats. With the 2 hits it raised his average to a still bad .213 on the season. With the rbi it raised his total to 3 since his promotion. I think Brian is starting to come around at the plate he is too good of a hitter to toil in the low .200's. I look for him to get better and better and by the end of the year i look for him to be one of the best hitters on the New Britain team.
- Ryan Mullins had a rough game yesterday as he gave up 7 runs on 9 hits in only 4 innings of work. With the 7 runs allowed it brought his ERa up to 3.84 on the season. I dont look for his start to lead to anything he has had a pretty good year and i look for him to rebound from it.
- Even though they lost the game the good thing about it was that the bats came alive as they scored 8 runs on 12 hits. They were led by Brian Dinkelman, Toby Gardenhire and Drew Butera who each had 2 hits to pace the Rockcats. It will be key for the Rockcats to continue like this if they are going to get back in the race.
- Tonight, the Rockcats continue their series with Reading in Reading. Gametime is at 6:05 with Anthony Swarzak getting the start for the Rockcats.
Fort Myers Musings
- The Miracle had the day off yesterday and begin a 3 game series with Tampa in Tampa. Gametime is at 6:05 with Deolis Guerra getting the start.
- POG: Ben Revere- Ben continued his awesome start to the season going 3-4 to bring his average up to .418 on the season. It was really great to get him back out there as he missed a few days dealing with a hamstring injury. It will be key going forward for the Snappers for Revere to continue his hot string becuase they have so many injuries that without Ben they wont be able to put up the good numbers and win games.
- David Bromberg really struggled again for the Snappers only lasting 5.1 innings and giving up 6 runs on 8 hits. David has really struggled as of late but he is too good of a pitcher for it to continue. With the 6 runs allowed to raised his ERA to 5.31 and lowered his record to 5-6 on the season.
- Tonight, the Snappers begin a series with Clinton in Beloit. Gamtime is at 7:00pm with Santos Arias getting the start for the Snappers.