Minnesota 7 Texas 6 12 innings
Minnesota 22-22 1.5 games back
- POG: Bobby Korecky- In one of the crazier games you are ever going to see on a baseball field a reliever gets player of the game honors. Something that probably won't happen ever again, but did Bobby earn the honor. Bobby came into a bases loaded 1 out jam in the 11th and got out of it with a pop up and a strikeout. Then he came up to bat because Brenden Harris, who began the game as the DH, had to come in a play defense so they lost the DH and he got a hit unbelievably. Then he pitched a scoreless 12th to pick up his first major league win along with his first major league hit. Bobby Korecky is a guy that is not going to overpower you, but just knows how to get people out and has done it for a long time. He was the closer for Rochester for a good amount of time before getting his chance with the Twins. The Twins haven't used him a whole lot so far, but hopefully this is something that will gain their confidence to use him in more clutch roles becuase i believe he can do it given a chance.
- Another unlikely hero was Howie Clark who entered the game in the 10th inning as a defensive replacement. He came up with Carlos Gomez on 2nd with 1 out in the 12th with the pitcher hitting next so he knew he would get a good pitch to hit and took advantage of it. He belted a line drive over the center fielder's head to send all the fans at the Dome home happy. I know i have been critical of Howie Clark being in the Mitchell report, but it took alot of guts by him to keep playing in the minor leagues and to show that type of determination is a credit to him as a person so good for him.
- Last night was one of the craziest games i have watched in a long time, but i think Gardy should be questioned a bit for using everyone up so the pitcher had to hit. It worked out good but lets say if clark flies out and then the pitcher would of had to hit and he got out and we lost the game gardy would be getting murdered, but it didn't happen so like the old saying goes alls well that ends well so a great win by the Twins to get back within a game and a half of first place Chicago.
- Tonight, the Twins take on the Rangers in game 2 of their 4 game series at the dome. Gametime is at 7:10 with Glen Perkins getting the start for the Twins.
gm 1 Syracuse 5 Rochester 0
gm 2 Rochester 7 Syracuse 6 8 innings
Rochester 18-28 12.0 games back
- POD: Matt Macri- Matt Macri who came off the disabled list last weekend came out hot as he went 3-8 over the 2 games which is a .375 average. He had a double along with 2 additional singles to pace the Red Wings attack. With the 3 hits it brought Matt's average up to .255 on the season. Matt has had his up and downs this season for the Red Wings and just when it looked like he was getting his swing down he pulled his groin and was out about 3 weeks. Now that he is back slowly but surely he is getting the feel at the plate again and i think he will be a big member of the Red Wings lineup as they try to rebound from an awful start. Do i think he will make it to the majors probably not but he is a good solid Minor League player.
- Randy Ruiz finally showed a little power at the plate in the second game yesterday as he belted his 3rd homerun of the year, a 3 run shot, that helped the Red Wings get a win in the 2nd game. Randy had a very good spring and there were some people that thought he should of made the Twins, but he went to Rochester and has really struggled. I dont know if it is a hangover from not making the team or what but he needs to put it together because there are guys below him ready to take his spot so hopefully he can get it done offensively and help the Red Wings win some games.
- Jose Morales has really come on at the plate as of late. Early in the season he was hitting a meager .218 and after a good streak he has his average up to .290 on the season. Look at the last 10 games to show how well he has hit he has gone 15-33 a .455 average to bring his batting average up to .290.
- Today, the Red Wings take on Syracuse in the final game of the series. Gametime is at 10am with Francisco Liriano getting the start for the Red Wings.
New Britain Business
New Britain 5 Harrisburg 1
New Britain 22-21 5.5 games back
- POG: Jay Rainville- Jay had one of the best outing of his career last night. Jay went 7 innings and only gave up an unearned run along with 3 hits. He didn't walk a batter and struck out 8 to get his 3rd win of the year. With the no earned runs it lowered Jay's ERA to a still high but better 7.53 on the season. This was the kind of start the Twins have been waiting to see out of Jay it just reinforces how talented this kid is and that they are right to be patient with him. He is a tease he will be very good and then be average for a few starts and then bam he will be awesome. My hope is that he can build off of this game and come out next time and do it again because he has proved that he is sure capable of being a very good pitcher.
- Trevor Plouffe had another good game as he continues his hot hitting as he brought his average up to .294 on the season. He has especially been hot the last 10 games in which he has hit 13-38 a .342 average along with 3 doubles and a triple. Trevor did like he usually does and gets better as the season goes along at the plate. What he really needs to work on though is his defense as he committed his 6th error of the season and if he is going to play with the Twins he is going to have to cut down on the errors or he wont make it, but i think with his work ethic it will be fine.
- Drew Butera finally showed something at the plate going 1-3 with a double and 3 rbi's to pace the Rock Cats attack. He is very good defensively and calls a good game so anything he can give you offensively is a plus so hopefully he can keep it going.
- Tonight, the Rock Cats continue their series with Harrisburg in New Britain. Gametime is at 5:35 with Oswaldo Sosa getting the start for the Rock Cats.
Fort Myers Musings
Jupiter 4 Fort Myers 2
Fort Myers 28-16 First Place
- POG: Daniel Berg- In a game where the Miracle bats went silent with only 6 hits in the game. One bright spot was Daniel Berg who went 1-3 with a walk and an rbi driving in 1 of the Miracle's 2 runs. With the 1 hit last night it brought Daniel's average up to .250 on the season. Daniel is a good all around player who has come in handy with the injurys to Valencia and Tosoni becuase he can play anywhere and do a good job no matter where you put him. I look for Berg to get more and more playing time as the season goes on and for his average to continue to rise.
- Alex Burnett was ok not great but not horrible. He went 6 innings and gave up 3 earned runs along with 9 hits. He walked noone and struck out 4. It was not one of Alex's better starts but he got through 6 innings to make it a quality start and he does atleast that every time out.
- The Miracle defense continues to hurt them as they committed 2 more errors to bring their season total up to 42 errors in only 44 games and if they continue to do that they will see a difference in their wins and losses.
- Tonight, the Miracle continue their series with Jupiter in Jupiter. Gametime is at 5:35 with Tyler Robertson getting the start for the Miracle.
Beloit 6 Clinton 5
Beloit 23-20 7.5 games back
- POG: Ben Revere- Ben continued his torrid pace for the Snappers as he had 3 more hits and 2 more rbi's. With the 3 hits it brought his average up to a unbelievable .432 on the season. With his 2 rbi's it brought his total in that to 11 on the season. I have never seen a start for someone taking a jump up in competition like he is doing by going into A ball less than a year after being drafted. There is some thought that maybe he is ready for the big jump up to high A in Fort Myers. I think he would do fine there but why rush him he is only 20 years old and he can continue to dominate the Midwest league and then next year move him up. With that said if he keeps hitting like he is now i dont see how you can keep him away from Fort Myers especially with the injury to Tosoni, but if i had a choice i would keep him in Beloit for the season.
- Michael Tarsi had another so so outing for the Snappers. He went 5.1 innings and gave up 4 runs on 9 hits. Along with 4 walks and 3 strikeouts to add to his crummy start. With Mike Mccardell back in the fold i think Tarsi could be the one that goes to the bullpen because he has been pretty unimpressive this year going 1-6 with a 6.84 era. I think maybe it would help him to be in the bullpen to get some confidence back because he is probably the most talented pitcher on the team and when he gets his confidence back watch out.
- Garrett Olson also had a big game going 3-4 at the plate to bring his average up to .276 on the season. It will be interesting to see what they do with Olson when Romero comes back in a month or so becuase you need to get both their bats in the lineup.
- Tonight, the Snappers continue their series with Clinton in Clinton. Gametime is at 7pm again with Daniel Berlind getting the start for the Snappers.