Monday, April 12, 2010
I will be bringing you another action packed edition of the Travis Talks Minnesota Sports Podcast tonight at 9pm central. I will be having on Fanatic Jack Steal and we will talk about the Twins home opener. We will take your questions in the chat room or you can call in with your questions. So join us tonight at 9pm for another edition of the Travis Talks Minnesota Sports Podcast. http://blogtalkradio.com/travistwinstalk
Well today is the day that Twins fans have been waitiing to see for almost 3 years. Ever since it was announced that there would be a new stadium most Twins fans have been clamoring for this day. Well the day is here and if mother nature allows it today will be on of the most anticipated days in not only Twins history, but also in Minnesota sports history. Today, April 12th 2010 is the day that Target Field opens and the days under the metrodome roof are over. As a Twins fan I am beyond excited and can't wait for this summer when I will be able experience it first hand. So until that happens I will talk about the things that are happening on the field with the Twins and all their affiliates.
Chicago 5 Minnesota 4(5-2 0.5 games back)
Chicago 5 Minnesota 4(5-2 0.5 games back)
- The Twins continued their stellar play offensively and pitching wise, but on this day it was not quite enough as they lost the finale to the White Sox 5-4. However, it was a good road trip as they went 5-2 and won both series from the Angels and White Sox. Nick Blackburn got the start in this one going 7.2 innings and giving up 5 runs on 8 hits to take the loss his first of the year. The game was 4-4 when Blackburn left the game after back to back singles by Carlos Quentin and Paul Konerko. Blackburn pitched a pretty good game expect the three homeruns that he allowed made it look not so good. Jose Mijares came on to face Andruw Jones and gave up the go ahead hit to put the White Sox up 5-4. Matt Guerrier then came on and got the last out for the Twins.
- Offensively, the Twins did enough that you would think they would be able to get the win especially against a pitcher like Mark Buerhle as they scored 4 runs on 10 hits. They left four guys on base. Joe Mauer led the attack going 2-4 with his 2nd and 3rd doubles of the year and drove in his fourth rbi of the year. Orlando Hudson seemed to be coming out of his early slump going 2-4 also to bring his average to .233. Justin Morneau went 1-4 with his 5th and 6th rbi's of the year as he has put the end of last year behind him. Michael Cuddyer went 2-4 with his 1st rbi of the year, but he is hitting .310 in the early going.
- Much has been said and will be said about third base coach Scott Ullger decision to send J.J. Hardy on a Jim Thome double against White Sox closer Bobby Jenks. He probably shouldn't of done it but I can see why he did. It took a heads up play by White Sox 3rd baseman Mark Teahan to go cut the ball off and a perfect carem for Juan Pierre to get him out. Also if you hold him I don't like the Twins chances against Jenks with Nick Punto coming up with only Casilla and Butera left on the bench. So maybe Ulger was thinking this was their best chance to tie the game and I probably wouldn't disagree with him.
- Today, the Twins open up Target field as Carl Pavano gets the start for the Twins against the Red Sox pitcher Jon Lester. Gametime is at 3pm central.
Rochester 4 Pawtucket 3
- The Red Wings after losing their first two games evened their record with a nice late inning comeback to beat the Paw Sox. Yoslan Herrera got the start for the Wings and was effective except he walked 5 batters in only 3.2 innings of work. Herrera gave up a run on only 3 hits and without all the walks he could have went longer in the game. Ryan Mullins then came on and had his second consecutive rough outing as he gave up 2 runs and 3 hits along with a strikeout in his one inning of work. Tim Lahey then came on and really saved the game pitching 3.1 great innings on only one walk and two strikeouts to pick up his first win of the year. Kyle Waldrop worked the 9th for his first save as a Red Wing on only one hit.
- The Red Wings were led by of all people in this game by Matt Tolbert who went 3-4 at the plate with his first double of the year. The big hit though was brought by Erik Lis who came to the plate in the 8th inning with the Wings trailing by a score of 3-2. With a runner on Lis connected for his first homerun of the year to put the Wings ahead 4-3. Brian Dinkelman also went 2-3 at the plate with a walk to bring his average up to .400 on the young season. Trevor Plouffe went 1-4 with his first two rbi's of the year.
- Tonight, the Wings head to Scranton-Wilkes Bare to take on the Yankees. Mike Maroth makes his first start as a Red Wing tonight with gametime at 6:05 in Scranton.
New Britain Business
New Hampshire 7 New Britain 4
- The Rockcats suffered their third straight loss to start the season with a tough to swallow 7-4 loss to New Hampshire yesterday. Tyler Robertson got his first AA start yesterday and was decent going 4.2 innings and giving up 3 runs on 7 hits along with a walk and a strikeout. Cole Devries then came on and pitched an effective 2.1 innings of relief giving up an unearned run on two hits along with 2 strikeouts. Santos Arias then came on and things did not go well for him. In two innings of work he gave up three unearned runs on two hits along with a walk and a strikeout. The rough part was he gave up a three run homerun that turned a 4-4 tie into a 7-4 New Hampshire lead. The Rockcats need to tighten things up as they had two errors which led to four unearned runs.
- The Rockcats offense continued to struggle as they were only able to put 4 runs on the board even though they had 9 hits. The main culprit was leaving 10 guys on base and your not going to win many games when you leave 10 on base and give up 4 unearned runs. The Cats were led by Rene Tosoni who went 2-5 with his first double of the year. Chris Parmalee went 1-4 at the plate with a walk and his first stolen base. Danny Lehman and Yancarlos Ortiz each added an rbi apiece.
- Tonight, the Rockcats continue their homestand as they welcome in Portland as Deolis Guerra gets his first start of the year. Gametime is at 5:35pm in New Britain.
Fort Myers Minutes
- The Miracle had yesterday off before continuing their series with Bradenton as they try to get their first win of the year. Bruce Pugh gets the start for Fort Myers with gametime at 6pm in Bradenton.
Peoria 2 Beloit 0
- The Snappers after getting off the season with a win lost their third straight Midwest League game. Brad Stillings got the start for Beloit and was very good in this one even though he ended up taking the loss. Stillings went 5 innings and gave up a run on only 3 hits along with one walk and a strikeout. Matthew Tone then came on and worked an inning and gave up one run on three hits along with a walk and three strikeouts. Dakota Watts then came on and pitched two shutout innings on only one hit. Ben Tootle pitched a perfect inning in relief. The pitching has n ot been the problem this year as they have done their job most of the time so far this year.
- The Snappers offensive slump continued in this one as they were only able to get five hits off Peoria pitching. Danny Rams went 1-4 at the plate with his second double of the year. Aaron Hicks got his first hit of the year going 1-4 to bring his average up to .071. James Beresford continued his struggles going 0-3 with a walk and still does not have a hit. Beresford and Hicks two of the best players on the Snappers team have started out very very slow. Between the two of them they are 1-29 at the plate a .034 average. I am not worried at all about them but it would be nice to get those guys going as soon as possible because they are key guys for the Snappers.
- Tonight, the Snappers continue their series with Peoria as Tom Stuifbergen gets his first start of the season tonight with gametime at 6:35.