Twins 5 Brewers 0
Minnesota 45-37 1.5 games back
- POG: Kevin Slowey- Kevin had his finest game as a professionally shutting out a very good offensive team in the Brewers. Kevin went all 9 innings for his first complete game shutout of his career. In the 9 innings Kevin only gave up 3 hits and struck out 8 Brewer batters. With the no runs allowed Kevin picked up his 5th win of the year and lowered his team leading ERA to 3.47. It is time for me to eat some humble pie and admit that i was wrong about Kevin Slowey he is going to be an outstanding pitcher after seeing him a while. I didn't realize how pinpoint his control is and if he continues to hit his spots he will be a tough guy to beat. The thing though about Slowey is that he doesn't throw that hard so he needs to hit his spots or he will get drilled. He is alot like Nick Blackburn and Scott Baker in that when they hit their spots they are good, but when they dont they are awful.
- Delmon Young had a big 2 run homerun in the 6th inning to pace the Twins hitters as they got to Ben Sheets a little bit. It was his 2nd homerun of the season and hopefully it is the beginning of something good for Delmon. Everyone else contributed for the Twins as they got a big win to rebound from thier loss to the Brewers Saturday.
- Micheal Cuddyer had to go on the DL after the game yesterday due to a torn tendon on his left hand. To replace Cuddyer on the roster the Twins called up outfielder Denard Span from Rochester. I think its a great move for the Twins becuase I think Denard has proven that he belongs on a major league team and i look for him to take the ball and run with it and his days in Rochester will be over.
- Tonight, the Twins begin a huge series at the Metrodome versus the Detroit Tigers. Gametime is at 7:10 with Glen Perkins getting the start for the Twins vs Armando Galarraga for the Tigers.
Pawtucket 10 Rochester 0
Rochester 38-47 15.0 games back
- POG: Brian Duensing- This will be quick because it was a dreadful game for the Red Wings as they showed no life and got pummelled. The best of the bunch was probably Brian Duensing as he only gave up 4 runs in 5 innings to take the loss. Brian's record dropped to 4-8 on the season and his ERA rose to 4.25 on the season. Brian atleast kept his team in the game and the Rochester bullpen made the score worse than it had to be.
- The Red Wings were only able to muster 2 hits against the Red Sox in a terribly played game for the Red Wings. The hits came from Darnell Mcdonald and Randy Ruiz with 1 hit apiece. If the Red Wings want to get back in the race they are going to have to stop having these type of efforts.
- The Red Wings lost another player after Denard Span was called up to the Twins and i dont think they will replace him for now. Look for Jason Pridie to move into center field for the Red Wings and old faithful Tommy Watkins to get plenty of playing time in the outfield until a replacement is found.
- The Red Wings try to get back on track as they begin a series with last place Leigh Valley in Leigh. Gametime is at 6:05 with Francisco Liriano getting the start for the Red Wings.
New Britian Business
New Britain 1 New Hampshire 0
New Britain 3 New Hampshire 2
New Britain 35-45 13.5 games back
- POD: Felix Molina- Felix had a very nice day for the Rockcats by going 3-6 with an Rbi in the 2 games. With the 3 hits it raised his average to .238 on the season. And the Rbi was his 19th of the year. Felix has been doing an outstanding job when called upon as of late for the Rockcats and I look for more and more playing time for him.
- The Rockcats got 2 well pitched games by Kyle Aselton and Jeff Manship each going 6 innings and Aselton not giving up a run and Manship not far off only giving up 2 runs and keeping the Rockcats in the game
- Danny Valencia and Brian Dinkelman continue to struggle going a combined 1-11 on the day with an rbi by Valencia. Dianna told me that they are struggling with the speed of the game, but my view is you need to be patient with these guys a demotion would not do either of these guys any good because they have mastered the FSL and need this challenge to see how well they will develop. If they are still struggling like this a month from now maybe we can talk, but honestly i dont see that happening I think they will do fine and a month from now we will be talking how Valencia and Dinkelman are pacing the Rockcats attack.
- Tonight, the Rockcats begin a series with Reading in Reading. Gametime is at 6:05 with Ryan Mullins getting the start for the Rockcats.
Fort Myers Musings
Fort Myers 3 Brevard County 2
Fort Myers 5-6 2.5 games back
- POG: Alex Burnett- Alex Burnett continued the hot pitching out of the Miracle as of late as they battle to get back to the .500 mark in the second half. Alex went 7 innings and only gave up a run on 5 hits along with 1 walk and 2 strikeouts. Alex has continued to get better and better for the Miracle as the season has taken shape. I think he will be with Fort Myers all season, but him and the rest of them will try to bring back a FSL title for the Miracle.
- Steve Singelton has done a very good job with the Miracle since his callup from Beloit by hitting .273 which is not bad when the consider the changes you have to go through when your called up. I look at Steve as a good prospect who if given a chance and his arm strenght continues to come back will be a key contributer for the Miracle and in a few years possibly the Twins.
- Oswaldo Sosa came in relief yesterday and did ok he gave up a run and made the Miracle come back, but he continues to work hard and try to get back up to New Britain. There is no excuse for the way hes pitching because he has filthy stuff when he throws strikes so they need to get him right and right in a hurry.
- The Miracle have today off before beginning a series with Tampa.
Beloit 2 Cedar Rapids 1
Beloit 8-3 First Place
- POG: Mike Mccardell- Mike continues his hot roll that he has been on since him coming off the disabled list a month ago. Mike threw a complete game to pick up his 5th win of the year and lowered his ERA to 2.88 on the season. Whatever Mike did when he was injured has sure worked becuase right now he is unhittable and I think he is ready for a promotion to Fort Myers to coincide with a Fort Myers pitcher getting promoted to New Britain. I really like how he is pitching right now and I think he is ready to take the next step in his career.
- The Snappers are really struggling with the bats as of late as they were only able to scratch together 6 hits off Cedar pitching and that is something they are need to get fixed and fixed in a hurry if the Snappers want to continue to contend for a second half playoff spot and a spot in the Midwest league playoffs.
- The injury bug has really hit the Snappers as Chris Parmalee is out 6 weeks with a broken wrist, Joe Benson is out a month with a back fracture and Jair Fernandez is out too with a undisclosed injury. To take their spots the Snappers called up Rene Leverat and Andrew Schmeissing from E-town to take their place. Alot of their offensive struggles as of late is due to those guys being out because they are 3 of Beloits best hitters and the Snappers will have to try to keep their head above water until they get back.
- Tonight, the Snappers finish off their series with Cedar Rapids in Beloit. Gametime is at 7:00 with David Bromberg getting the start for the Snappers.
- The Twins game with Burlington last night was rained out and will be made up as part of a doubleheader today in Burlington. The pitchers for the Twins will be Dan Osterbock and Bobby Lanigan.