Twins 2 Cubs 0
- The Twins won their 2nd straight victory over the Cubs yesterday afternoon with a big 2-0 win. Anthony Swarzak was the story of the game as he went 7 shutout innings to pick up his 2nd win of the year. Swarzak went 7 innings and gave up no run on only 4 hits along with 1 walk and 6 strikeouts to bring his era down to 3.90 on the year. The funny thing is after the game the Twins sent him down to the minors to add a hitter with Denard Span and Michael Cuddyer hampered with injuries. Swarzak has proved that he is a major league pitcher and it is just a matter of time before he returns to the Twins and continues to show how good fo a pitcher he is. Matt Guerrier then pitched a clean 8th inning not giving up a hit and striking out a batter to lower his era to 3.03. Joe Nathan then came on and pitched the 9th giving up 1 hit and walking 1 and striking out one to pick up his 15th save of the year.
- In a pitchers duel the Twins just did enough to pick up the victory as they only got 5 hits in this one. The good thing though was that the 5 hits resulted in the 2 runs that they needed to pick up the win. Jason Kubel went 1-4 with his 11th homerun of the year and 2nd in 2 days and drove in his 37th run. Joe Mauer went 1-4 with his 40th rbi of the year and dropped his average to still an unbelievable .408 on the season. Justin Morneau, Carlos Gomez, and Nick Punto also added hits in the win.
- Today, the Twins try to go for the sweep as they take on the Cubs in Chicago as Scott Baker gets the start for the Twins.
Toledo 4 Rochester 2
- The Red Wings lost another tough game to Toledo last night as they continue to struggle offensively. Philip Humber got the start for the Red Wings and was much better than he had in previous starts. Humber went 5.1 innings and gave up 3 earned runs on 7 hits along with 2 walks and 3 strikeouts to lower his era to 6.22 on the year. Humber has not pitched very good this season and possibly a return to the Red Wings bullpen would do the trick for him like it did last year when he was much better in the 2nd half. Armando Gabino continued his good season as he came in relief to pitch 1.2 scoreless innings along with 3 strikeouts to lower his era down to 3.03. Gabino has probably been the most consistant relief pitcher on the Red Wings this year and he continues to pitch good for the Red Wings. Tim Lahey finished it and pitched a good inning finally and did not give up a run to lower his era to 10.47.
- The Red Wings saw their offensive funk continue as they were only able to push 2 runs across on 8 hits. Justin Huber and David Winfree led the attack with 2 hits apiece. Justin Huber also added his 5th homerun of the year and his 7th double and 27th rbi to bring his average up to .264. David Winfree added his 15th double and brought his average up to .283 on the season. Steve Tolleson added his 5th double in his short stay with the Red Wings and brought his average to .340. Dustin Martin, Trevor Plouffe, and Matt Macri added hits in the losing cause.
- Tonight, the Red Wings continue their series with Toledo as they send Brian Duensing to the hill for Rochester
New Britain Business
New Britain 6 Bowie 5
- The Rockcats snatched victory out of the hands of defeat in this one as they put 2 runs in the bottom of the 9th to pull out the victory yesterday 6-5 over Bowie. Carlos Gutierrez got the start for the Rockcats and was much better than his first start when he gave up 5 runs. In this one Gutierrez went 5 innings as they try to limit his innings and gave up 1 run on 5 hits along with 3 walks to lower his era to 5.40. That is more like the kind of start we should expect to see out of Guti from here on out. In 15 outs in the 5 innings 11 of the 15 were groundouts and that is what he is a better version of Carlos Silva. Frank Mata then came on and struggled giving up 3 runs on 2 hits in only 1/3 of an inning along with 1 walk to raise his era up to 5.56. Jose Lugo then came on and pitched 2.1 innings and only gave up an unearned run on 3 hits along with 3 walks and 3 strikeouts to lower his era to 4.76. Yohan Pino then came on and got an out to lower his era to 4.63. Anthony Slama then came on and pitched a scoreless top of the 9th to pick up his 4th win of the year along with 2 strikeouts to lower his era to 2.65.
- For a long time in this one it looked like the Rockcats were going to let this one get away as they left 12 guys on base. That is way to many and you are not going to win very many games when you leave 12 guys on base so the Rockcats should consider themselves very fortunate to get the win. Erik Lis had a huge day going 4-4 with 2 rbi's to bring his season total up to 3o. Yancarlos Ortiz, Whit Robbins,and Matt Moses each had 2 hits in the game. Moses also had a 2 run single to win the game in the bottom of the 9th. Juan Portes, Danny Valencia, and Toby Gardenhire also contributed hits in the victory for the Rockcats. Robbins raised his average up to .342 on the year. Which is unbeliveable considering Whit has never finished a season higher than .268 a 72 points lower than what he is hitting right now. I keep expecting him to go in a slump, but I am beginning to believe it is not going to happen and he is that good.
- Today, the Rockcats continue their series with Bowie as Ryan Mullins gets the start for New Britain.
Fort Myers Minutes
- The Miracle had their game with Daytona washed out and will play a doubleheader today. Mike Mccardell will start the first game and will be followed by Steve Hirschfeld pitching in the sencond game.
Beloit 4 Burlington 1
- The Snappers won their 3rd straight game with a hard fought 4-1 victory last night over Burlington. Dan Osterbrock got the start for the Snappers in this one and pitched very well once again. Osterbrock went 6.1 innings and gave up 1 run on 6 hits along with 1 walk and 2 strikeouts to lower his era to 5.15 on the year. Osterbrock has had his rough moments this year with the Snappers, but all in all he seems to be improving which is all you can ask for from any pitcher. If he can have a good second second half the year will not turn out to bad year for him after how he started. Joe Testa then came on and finished the game for his 6th save of the year. Testa went 2.2 innings and gave up 1 hit along with 1 walk and 4 strikeouts to lower his era to 1.71.
- The Snappers only were able to put 6 hits up in a very hard fought win, but the good thing is they were able to put 4 runs on the 6 hits so they finally got some key hits. Ramon Santana had his 13th double of the year and had his average drop to a still very good .340. Dominic De La Osa, Michael Harrington, Ozzie Lewis, and Jon Waltenbury contributed hits in the big win. Ozzie Lewis drove in hsi 25th rbi and Juan Richardson drove in his 4th run of the year in the winning cause.
- Today, the Snappers begin a series with Clinton at home after the long road trip. Bobby Lanigan gets the starts for Beloit.