- They could sign Ivan Rodriguez to a 1 year contract and that way they would have a veteran who can hit on a regular basis. He has not been very good the last couple years and I don't think it is a good idea to sign him for maybe a month. So when Mauer comes back in a few weeks what do you do with Rodriguez he will not be happy being a backup. With all the info I think I would pass on Pudge.
- They could make Mike Redmond the starter and bring either Jose Morales or Drew Butera north as the backup. I think Redmond could do a fine job as the starter, but I am not sure how his body would react from going from 2 games a week to 4-5 games a week. You need to remember Reddog is 38 years old and the last thing you need is to get him hurt.
- The third and final option is what I would do. I would bring up Jose Morales and make him the starter on Opening day. I would not do it like they did it last year where Mauer played 4 games and sat 2. I would have Morales play 3 games and Redmond play 3 games. You could keep both catchers fresh and you could get good production out of the catcher position until Mauer gets back.
The Twins had yesterday off and kept their spring record at a very good 9-3 on the spring. Today the Twins continue grapefruit league play as they take on Baltimore in Fort Lauderdale. Glen Perkins will get the start as he tries to continue his strong spring. In good news Nick Blackburn will come in relief today in his first work since having to be skipped because of knee soreness. Gametime is at 12:05 between the Twins and the Orioles.
- Justin Mourneau, Jesse Crain, and Nick Punto will be returning to camp after Canada and Italy were eliminated from WBC competition. It will be good to have them back and get them ready for the season.
- Anybody watch that Netherlands-Dominican Republic game last night. All I can say is wow the intensity of the game was amazing. It was almost like a playoff game. When it started I was not a big fan of the WBC, but I have to admit I have changed my mind and really enjoy it. The drama between the US and Canada was awesome. Nothing though was as intense as last nights game. After the game Harold Reynolds said it was it was the biggest upset in Baseball history. I really can't argue with him looking at the all-star roster of the Dominican compared to the kids on the Netherlands. All I know is I will be rooting for the Netherlands in the next round.