- Tyrell Johnson S Arkansas St- The Vikings gave up their 4th round pick to Philadelphia to move up 4 spots in the 2nd round to select Johnson. In alot of mock drafts i saw him getting a 1st round grade and Darren Sharper is not getting any younger. I see him taking over in a year or 2 and bringing everything a Safety in the Cover 2 needs to bring. He can get deep to stop the deep pass and can move up in the box and help out against the run. The thing that brought him up was at the combine he ran a 4.4 40yard dash. He was the sunbelt defensive player of the year and i think he is learning from a pro and will be an outstanding safety in a few years.
- pick 137 John David Booty- The Vikings had to trade up with Green Bay to get the quarterback they wanted and had to surrender their 7th round pick to get him. I am very high on Booty because he is perfect for the Vikings because he is a very accurate passer and ran a similiar offense at USC. What i really like about him is he is used to big game situations and is a coaches son so they knows hard work. If you can handle the pressure of being the QB at USC i think you can handle everything. Maybe not next year but in 09 if Jackson doesn't work out i think Booty could be the starting QB for the Vikings and will be a good one.
- pick 152 Letroy Guion DT Florida St- This is a project for the Vikings he did not start alot of games in college, but he has the size the Vikings are looking for. Pat Williams is 34 years old and eventually you need to find a replacement for him and Letroy is a hit or miss prospect because alot of people are high on him and hopefully he can play with a chip on his shoulder and prove the Vikings right in using the pick on him.
- pick 187 John Sullivan C Notre Dame- I really like this pick it is a developmental center who possibly could take over for Matt Birk. I would sign Birk to a short term contract to give John time to develop his body a little. He will be facing guys bigger than he ever faced before so he needs to gain some weight and go against the bigger nose guards a little bit better.
- pick 193 Jaymar Johnson WR Jackson St- I think this was a little bit of a reach since we already have some guys with return ability. I think he is too small to help out at the wide receiver position so really his only way he can help the team is to return kicks and punts but i think they had other spots they could of went with.
- Draft Grade A-
- I think they had a solid draft the only one i question is Jaymar Johnson but the rest filled depth questions and if you add Jared Allen it was a good weekend for the Vikings.