Twins 12 Cleveland 3
Twins 48-38 1.0 games back
- POG: Delmon Young- Delmon had probably his best day of the season by going 3-5 with 4 rbi's and his 3rd homerun of the season. With the 3 hits it raised his average to a good .289 on the season. Also the 4 Rbi's brought his season total up to 33. Delmon got off to a slow start but this homestand he has really come on hitting .422 with 2 homeruns, which is what we have been waiting to see. I have been saying it all year that his numbers will be fine and at the end of the year he will put up comparable numbers that he did last year with 10-15 homerun and around 90 rbi's which is exactly what we need out of him.
- The Twins had a great game as they defeated the Indians 12-3 last night. Livan Hernandez was shaky like usual but he made it 6 innings and only gave up 3 runs for his 4th consecutive quality start. Twins pitchers have now had quality starts in 16 of the last 19 games. Offensivly there were plenty of heros as the Twins pounded out 15 hits and 12 runs. They were led by Delmon Young and Nick Punto, yes that Nick Punto. Between the 2 of them they went 5-9 with 2 homeruns and 8 rbi's. Justin Mourneau went 2-3 with his 16th and 17th doubles of the year.
- Tonight, the Twins try to extend their winning streak to 4 games at the Metrodome against the Indians. Gametime is at 6:10 with Kevin Slowey getting the start for the Twins.
Rochester 8 Buffalo 1
Rochester 42-48 15.0 games back
- POG: Trevor Plouffe- Trevor had probably his best night of the season since his callup to Rochester. He went 3-5 with his 3rd homerun of the season for the Red Wings. He also had his 4th double and his 12th rbi of the year. Trevor improved his average with the 3 hits to .244 on the year. Trevor has really started to pick it up as of late and has become a solid contributer for the Red Wings my only question is what is his position any more. I thought we had found our shortstop of the future, but since he went up to Rochester he has hardly played short mostly 3rd or 2nd. Makes me wonder does he not have the range to play ss at the major league level or what. Because if doesn't play SS the Twins are kind of weak at SS in the system so they may have to go outside the organization to find a SS.
- The Redwings won their 3rd consecutive game and 2nd consecutive against Buffalo as they went ahead of them in the standings. Brian Duensing had his best start in a while going 6 shutout innings to pick up his 5th win of the year. Offensively they were led by Trevor Plouffe and Howie Clark. Plouffe went 3-5 with his 3rd homerun and Clark went 4-4 with 3 rbi's.
- Tonight, the Redwings try to extend their winning streak to 4 games as they finish up their series with Buffalo going for the sweep. Gametime is at 6:05 with Francisco Liriano getting the start for the Redwings.
New Britain Business
New Britain 5 Connecticut 3
New Britain 36-49 15.5 games back
- POG: Brock Peterson- Brock had his best start in quite a while yesterday going 3-4 with his 8th and 9th homeruns of the year. With the 3 hits it raised his average to .257 and picked up his 46th and 47th rbi's of the year. Brock has been up and down all year and has not been as consistant as I expected him to be and that along with the good year of Randy Ruiz has kept Brock in AA so im hoping for a good second half from Brock to possibly starting next season up in Rochester.
- The Rockcats broke a 4 game losing streak with a 5-3 win versus Connecticut. Jeff Manship got the start and was very strong going 7 innings and only giving up 2 runs to lower his era to 3.91 for the season. Offensively, they were led by Brock Peterson who went 3-4 with 2 homeruns and Luke Hughes who hit his 15th homerun of the year.
- Tonight, the Rockcats continue their series with Connecticut in New Britain. Gametime is at 6:05 with Kyle Aselton getting the start for the Rockcats.
Fort Myers Musings
Fort Myers 2 Lakeland 1 14 innings
- POG: Cole Devries- Cole continued the unbeliveable pitching by the Miracle pitching staff by going 6 shutout innings and only giving up 3 hits along with a walk and 6 strikeouts. With the no runs it lowered Cole's era to 2.59 on the season. Cole has been really amazing the last couple months and has put himself back on the prospect list because going into the season alot of people did not think too highly of him and with the season he has put together he should be considered for a promotion to New Britain.
- The Miracle continued their hot streak by winning their 7th consecutive game. Cole Devries went the first 6 innings, but this game went on forever. 14 innings to be exact before Eddie Ovalle hit home Steve Singelton for the game winning run. Ovalle was the hitting star going 2-6 with his 7th homerun and his 42nd and 43rd rbi's.
- The big thing as of late is the Fort Myers pitching staff. Here is a stat I have never seen anything even close to and that is in the last 42 innings the Miracle pitchers have only given up 2 runs. Yes thats right only 2 runs.
- Tonight, the Miracle continue their series with Lakeland in Lakeland. Gametime is at 5pm with Alex Burnett getting the start for the Miracle.
Clinton 4 Beloit 0
Beloit 10-6 1.0 games back
- POG: Jeanfred Brito- Brito has really asserted himself since his call up from E-town. Last night he went 1-4 with his 3rd stolen base of the season. Brito has brought some life to a lifeless Beloit team right now with Revere limping along with Benson and Parmalee out with injuries. It will be interesting to see if he can keep it up ie. Revere.
- The Snappers have had alot of success against Clinton early in the second half, but Clinton is a playoff team for a reason and they found that out last night in a 4-0 loss. Mike Mccardell was not as sharp as he had been as of late going 7 innings and giving up 4 runs to take the loss. Offensively, the Snappers were not able to get anything going against the Clinton pitching staff only able to muster 3 hits in the loss.
- Tonight, the Snappers begin a 3 game series with Wisconsin in Wisconsin. Gametime is at 7pm with David Bromberg getting the start for the Snappers.
E-town 5 Bristol 4 11innings
E-town 14-4 First Place
- POG: Shooter Hunt- Twins 1st round pick Shooter Hunt made his professional start last night and man was it impressive. Shooter went 3 innings and did not allow a hit and struck out 6 batters to get his career started. Shooter could not of asked for a better way to start his Twins career than how he did it. I look for him to skyrocket through the Twins system because he is very refined as a prospect. Before the season is up I look for Shooter to be up in Fort Myers.
- The Twins themselves had a long game last night needed 11 innings to beat Bristol. Shooter Hunt got his first professional start and was very good for 3 innings. Offensively, they were led by Angel Morales who went 3-5 with his 4th homerun of the year to put the Twins on top in the 11th inning. Also Juan Richardson and Dominic De La Osa each had 2 hits to pace the Twins attack
- Tonight, the Twins continue their series with Bristol in Bristol. Gametime is at 6:00pm with Dan Osterbrock getting the start for the Twins