- 2009: 750,000
- 2010: 3.0 million
- 2011: 5.0 million
- 2012: 6.5 million
- 2013: 9.25 million team option no buyout
I think its a no-brainer because if they had taken the arbitration rout i guarantee you he would of made more money and they can have him for his first free agency year at a cheap salary compared to what he will probably accomplish the last 5 years. All in all a good move by the Twins. It made me think who would I approach next if anyone about a long term contract.
1. Joe Mauer- another no brainer but I think its going to be a long process because they need to consider if it will hurt the team to pay Mauer more than Mourneau. However, I think it will end up getting done because I believe both sides want it to get done. However, I wouldn't expect it till next winter.
2. Jason Kubel- They signed him to a 2 year extension and I think that is plenty because they bought out 1 free agency year so i think thats ok.
3. Justin Mourneau- he signed 6 year deal last year so he is good.
4. Alexi Casilla- I need to see more out of him before I would even consider it. Make sure last year was not a fluke. If he has another good year I would definatly consider signing him long term.
5. Nick Punto- they signed him for 3 years so he is good.
6. Joe Crede- My gut feeling says no matter how he does he is a one and done player for the Twins with Danny Valencia just about ready to take over. It will be interesting the outcry if he had a all-star season and the Twins let him go. Honestly, I don't see the Twins signing him long term no matter how he does this year.
7. Delmon Young- I need to see alot more to suggest signing him long term. I would probably need to see 2 good years in a row before i would pursue it.
8. Carlos Gomez- Same as Delmon Young
9. Michael Cuddyer- He is signed for 3 years and thats good enough for me.
10. Denard Span- Same as Alexi Casilla I need to see some more to make sure it wasn't a fluke.
11. Francisco Liriano- Honestly, I dont know that you can sign him long term because of his injury history. I think I would need atleast 2 year injury free years before i would consider it and even then your taking on a risk.
12. Kevin Slowey- I am almost ready to go after him but i need one more year because whats the hurry he only has 1 year of service time so if he has another good season I would sign him next winter.
13. Glen Perkins- I have no interest in signing him long term right now. He needs to improve to hang onto his rotation spot with Mulvey, Swarzak, and Duensing on his heels so no interest.
14. Nick Blackburn- same as Perkins
15. Joe Nathan- Signed for 3 more seasons so im fine with that.
16. Pat Neshek- I was ready to sign him but now the surgery changes all that like Liriano I need atleast 2 healthy seasons before i would consider extending him.
17. Jesse Crain- He is signed for 2 years and im happy with that because he needs to improve to keep job.
18. Matt Guerrier- He has 2 years left before he becomes a free agent and i think i would let him become one and see how he does.
19. Luis Ayala- He is one if he has a good year I could see the Twins extending him durning the season.
Thats all the players that I would even consider it let me know what you think.