- Kevin Slowey was impressive once again giving up 1 run on 2 hits in 5 innings of work. His only mistake was a long homerun by Dan Uggla in the second inning. Other than that he was impressive like usual. With the 5 innings he lowered his starter low spring era to 1.79. Since they played at a national league park the pitchers had to hit and Slowey was impressive there as well. Slowey was 2-2 with 3rbi's so basically he was a one man gang to get the win for the Twins.
- Denard Span went 0-4 to lower his average to .145 this spring. I know numbers are not that important in the spring, but since the other outfielders have had better springs that should be used in determining opening day. I think when you start playing in the regular season playing time should be based on who is hitting then, but if I was Gardy based on what he has done this spring my starting outfield would be Delmon Young, Carlos Gomez, and Michael Cuddyer with Span coming off the bench.
- The Twins put together 12 hits to continue their impressive hitting as of late. Brian Buscher, Brenden Harris and Matt Tolbert each had multi-hit games to pace the Twins in addition to Slowey. It appears the Twins offense is ready for opening day as they have double digit hits for 3 consecutive days.
- The Twins have their last day off today this spring. Tommorrow the Twins travel to Sarasota to take on the Reds for a 6:05pm game. Nick Blackburn gets his first start in a long time as the Twins try to build his arm strength back up so he is ready for the season after missing a few weeks with knee soreness.
- With the Twins having today off I will be writing the first article of a new series that I am writing so check back this afternoon when I should have it up.
Wednesday, March 25, 2009
Wednesday, March 25th
Yesterday, the Twins took the show on the road to Jupiter to take on the Marlins. Im sure the Marlin players were as high as a kite after their new ballpark was approved in Miami Dade County which meant a lot of the players will be able to stay instead of being traded. The Twins put on probably their most complete game of the spring yesterday with a very good 8-1 win. Kevin Slowey continued his strong spring and the hitters also did their part.