- The Twins had yesterday off before beginning a 3 game series in Milwaukee with the Brewers as Francisco Liriano will start for the Twins.
Toledo 9 Rochester 4
- The Red Wings had their dreadful series with Toledo end with a thud as they once again could not do much in the pitching department. Jason Jones got the start in this one for the Wings and really was not very good. In 5 innings and gave up 5 runs on 8 hits along with 3 walks and 3 strikeouts to raise his era to a very bad 6.49 and dropped his record to 2-6. I am probably the most disappointed with Jason Jones then anyone on the Rochester staff because the Twins gave up a pretty solid relief prospect in Charles Nolte to keep him and he has done nothing. The Twins gave up too much to just release him so I would atleast try him out of the bullpen to see if he can right himself and possibly go back into the rotation, but right now he has no chance to get hitters out. Another guy like that is Reid Santos out of the bullpen who came in for Jones and got shelled again. Santos went 2 innings and gave up 4 runs on 4 hits although only 2 were earned along with 2 walks, 2 strikeouts, and 2 homeruns to raise his era to 5.95 on the year. As a minor league free agent I was not expecting alot out of Santos and he has been just about what I thought he would be. I actually think it is time to cut the cord with Santos and bring up Matt Fox from AA New Britain and move Jason Jones to the bullpen. You can't keep sending out the same people time after time and expect a different result sometimes you just have to shake things up. Jesse Crain then came on and pitched a very good inning of work on 1 hit along with 2 strikeouts. I do not expect Crain to be with the Wings very long and if he keeps pitching like this he will be back with the Twins by the end of July. Armando Gabino pitched a 1-2-3 ninth a day after giving up the winning homerun so it was good that he bounced back. Gabino struck out a batter and lowered his era to a very good 3.02 on the year.
- I know I am getting repetitive with this and I am sorry for that, but the Wings keep piling up the hits and are not able to score enough runs because they constantly strand runners on base. In this one the Wings had 10 hits and only 4 runs because they left 7 guys on base. Twins outfielder Denard Span made a rehab start for the Wings and did what he always does for the Twins and that is get on base. Span went 1-4 with a double and a walk adn was constantly working the count and having good at bats. Span is scheduled to play again tonight and if all goes well join the Twins on Thursday to continue their roadtrip. Justin Huber went 1-4 with his 7th homerun of the year for the Wings along with his 34th rbi to bring his average down to .277. Matt Macri went 2-4 with his 2nd double of the year and drove in his 22nd run of the year to bring his average up to .211. Dustin Martin went 2-4 with his 9th double of the year to bring his average up to .251. Dustin Martin has had an awful June hitting only .211 in June after doing much better in April and May. Hopefully, he is starting to come out of it because he is too good of a hitter for this. Trevor Plouffe went 2-5 with his team leading 38th rbi of the year. David Winfree and Brock Peterson also added hits in the losing cause.
- Tonight, the Wings begin a series with Columbus and will send Anthony Swarzak to the mound for Rochester.
New Britain Business
- The Rockcats had yesterday off and will begin a series with Harrisburg tonight as Jay Rainville will get the start for New Britain.
Fort Myers Minutes
Jupiter 4 Fort Myers 3
- The Miracle made their return to the field last night in a losing cause to Jupiter by a score of 4-3. Most of the Miracle starters sat out this one as a reward for being all-stars and for clinching the first half title before the break. Ben Revere, Steve Singelton, and Chris Cates did not start this one for the Miracle. Fresh off a good outing in the all-star game Steve Hirschfeld got the start for the Miracle and was very good. Hirschfeld went 5.1 shutout innings in this one on only 6 hits along with 2 walks and 3 strikeouts to lower his era to 1.50 on the year. Santos Arias then came on and really struggled giving up 3 runs and 5 hits in 2 innings of work and let a 3 run lead slip through his fingers. Santo saw his era rise to 2.70 with this outing. Santos Arias has been one of the most reliable relievers for the Miracle this year and everyone has a bad outing every once in a while and last night was Arias' turn and I fully expect him to bounce back next time out. Blair Erickson came into the game and gave up the go ahead run to take the loss for the Miracle to drop his record to o-3 and raise his era to 2.78. Erickson went 1.2 innings and gave up 1 run on 2 hits to take the loss for the Miracle.
- The Miracle could not do alot with the bats last night as they could only muster 3 runs on 7 hits against Jupiter. Danny Berg led the attack going 2-4 with his 2nd triple of the year along with his 17th and 18th rbi's and brought his average up to .239 on the year. Congratulations again to Danny for the promotion to AA New Britain and the possiblilty of playing every day. Juan Richardson went 1-3 with his 3rd rbi of the year. Jair Fernandez went 2-4 at the plate to raise his average up to .193 on the year. With Danny Lehman and Allan De San Miguel up in New Britain the Miracle really need Jair Fernandez to pick it up hitting and his .193 batting average will not cut it so hopefully last night was just the beginning of a better second half. Chris Parmalee and Rene Leveret each added a hit in the losing cause.
- This morning the Miracle take on Jupiter in game 2 of their 3 game series as the Miracle will send Tyler Robertson to the mound this afternoon.
- The Snappers are on their all-star break and will not start the second half of the season until Thursday Night in Clinton.
- The Twins had the day off and will begin their season tonight as they take on Bluefield with Tom Stuifbergen getting the start for E-town.